Friday, May 15, 2009

The Oktoberfest. Munich, Germany


I remember, back in 1989, I was at the Oktoberfest celebration, held in Puerto Rico at a locally famous resort. There were these big white tents which indicated where the party was taking place. You couldn't be mistaken. Those big white tents just yelled... Oktoberfest! I still have the 1989 glass mug I received back then. I was 19 and I was overwhelmed by that curious foreign celebration, which dated from many years ago. In fact, 198 of them today(this year goes for its 199 birthday!). The original Oktoberfest took place on October 18, 1810 in order to commemorate a prince and a princess wedding. This festival is celebrated for 16 straight days at Munich, Germany during late September to early October. Due to several festival interruptions, during the Napoleonic War and later during World War I, Oktoberfest celebrates this year its 176th festival. Since 1810, the Oktoberfest has been cancelled 24 times! This year is gonna take place on September 19th to October 4th, at Munich, Germany. I hope this has been of interest to you and that you celebrate the Oktoberfest with a great beer in your hand next time it takes place. I want to show you a really good video about the 2008 Oktoberfest here. See for yourself, and enjoy your senses!

I would like to introduce The Coconut Bistro Channel on YouTube! This has been a great addition to The Coconut Bistro, showing many related videos, complementing my articles and beyond. And it's growing every day!

Don't forget to post your comments or anything you wanna share here at The Coconut Bistro!

(photo courtesy of Deurloo at smugmug.com)

1 comment:

Luz said...

How could I forget Oktober Fest. When I was in Germany years ago I had the oportunity to celebrate with hundreds of Germans this interesting festival. The experience is one to remember and the city of Munich is awesome. If you are in Germany during these dates go to Oktober Fest if you have the opportunity.