Monday, April 20, 2009

Johnny Depp and St. Germain Bistro & Cafe, Puerto Rico











In an old spanish-heritage city I found a lot of young girls and women wishing to take a look, although distant, to famous actor Johnny Depp. They wanted, at least, to see him in the horizon, so they could tell tales about him at work or to their closest friends at home. Many of them had cameras on hand, waiting for the right moment. In fact, they got their wish granted and saw Johnny wearing 50's-style clothing and even the press caught him in photographs. The next day Johnny was all over local press. There was an american female tourist who couldn't believe she had to come to Puerto Rico to find Johnny Depp next corner. The city was San Juan-the Old San Juan area- and Johnny was filming a late 50's movie there. In fact, I learned the movie in the making is called The Rum Diary and he plays the role of Paul Kemp, a journalist who moves from New York to Puerto Rico to work for a small newspaper. In this antique colonial city I found one very original and delightful place to eat called St. Germain Bistro & Cafe.

Do you remember what I said, that I believe great food ignite passions and emotions in all of us?? Well...Let them tell you what that is all about...

"St. Germain Bistro & Café in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, PR: Located off the beaten path, this hot spot for lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch is popular among both locals and tourists. The restaurant offers a unique experience of quality, fresh food and a relaxed, European café ambiance. The concept roots back to St. Germain-de-Prés, a neighborhood in Paris where the streets are lined with different eateries. Ours is located in a beautiful colonial building with an outdoor feel. The dishes consist of gourmet sandwiches, freshly baked quiche, ceviche, abundant salads and creative pizzas - all made the moment you order. The gentle breeze, soothing music, and agreeable ambiance will make it a memorable part of your days in the Old City".

I ordered a pita pizza with mozzarella and feta cheese with tomatoes. I can't start to tell you how extravagant the flavor was, because they care to add their distinctive flavor, so tasting it is the only reliable reference. The ambiance was very cozy, casual, with lovely brazilian music, among other kinds. The service was utterly friendly and efficient, making sure a second visit, if not a third or more will take place. It has a definite old-world feeling all around. If great food ignite our passions, this is the right place to start feeling them. I wish you were there.
Keep living!
Adal@CoconutBistro

P.S.
Hey, don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter and start posting your experiences and comments here!! Everyone will see you!!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Visito frecuentemente el el Viejo San Juan, y uno de mis destinos gastronómicos preferidos es St. Germain. Es gratificante la experiencia de visitar este lugar, no solo por la deliciosa comida, si no además por la amabilidad y naturalidad con la que atienden sus meseras. Gracias por la calidad!

Anonymous said...

I was recently traveling in San Juan, P.R. and I had dinner at St. Germain. I ordered a pita sandwich with a combination of Asian spices that was to die for and not only that, this sandwich was vegan, a most in my diet and a rare finding in many places. Kudos for this place, it is a most to visit if you are in the Old San Juan area.

Iberius said...

I had a salmon pizza which it was really good. I was surprised to find to find such a meal in San Juan. It was my first time there and went with my wife and two brothers and their ladies about two weeks ago in April. I will go again for sure when I visit the area in the future!